This sampling of some of McConnell’s shortcomings on gun rights issues shows why the Gun Owners of America have endorsed Matt Bevin for US Senate. We cannot explain why the NRA continues to support McConnell's failed voting record. Decide for yourself.
• Voted against
Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) Amendment to block authority under Patriot Act to obtain gun records [RC #82, 5/26/11
• Voted for an amendment by Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) prohibiting the sale or transfer of handguns
by a licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer unless a secure gun storage or safety device is provided for each handgun. 25 Republicans and 2 Democrats voted against it. [RC #17, 02/26/04]
• Voted for Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) amendment to spend taxpayer funds for Department of Education grants used to disseminate a gun control agenda in schools and through public service announcements. [RC #32, 03/02/00]
• Voted for Sen. Herb Kohl (D-WI) Amendment requiring that all guns be sold with trigger locks [RC#122, 5/18/99]
• Voted for the 1991 Crime Bill (S. 1241), sponsored by then Sen. Joe Biden (D-DE), that imposed a waiting period
for handguns and a ban on 14 types of assault style weapons. [RC #125, 07/11/91]
• Senator McConnell cut a deal with the Democrats to allow all of Obama’s second term nominees to sail through the Senate. Included in that deal was the confirmation of anti-gun zealot Todd Jones to serve as Director of the ATF.
Read more about what the Madison Project has to say about Mitch McConnel's failed voting record by clicking here.
Read more about why the Gun Owners of America have endorsed Matt Bevin for US Senate by clicking here.
Learn more about the Gun Owners of America by clicking here.